Duke TIP Academic Adventures
University of South Carolina
Saturday, October 4
- Academic Adventures are open to students in grades 5 and 6 who have participated in the Duke TIP 4th - 6th Grade Talent Search or the summer 2014 Carolina Master Scholars Adventure Series.
- Scholars meet on the University’s Columbia campus on Saturday, October 4, 2014.
- Students can enroll in one class per program date and explore material typically not included in school curricula.
- Class size is limited to 16 students unless otherwise noted.
- Check-in is at 9:30 am at their class. Locations are TBA and held on the USC Columbia Campus.
- Class starts at 10:00 am until 4:00 pm with a break for lunch.
- Tuition is $130 per program date and includes lunch and academic activities.
- Limited, partial financial aid is available for qualified applicants (See Below).
Courses for Saturday, October 4, 2014
Innovative courses are offered during this weekend and students can enroll in only one class per program.
- Ancient Greek Mythology
- Bulls and Bears: Understanding Today's Stock Market
- Career in Health Sciences
- Learn to make a Wind Turbine Station using LEGOs
- In the Eye of the Storm: Weather, Climate and You
Courses fill quickly and placements are made as applications are received.
Applications and Acceptance
- Complete the online registration form and pay the required fee online. Full fee payment is required.
- Participants will be placed on a first-come, first served basis in the selected course. Courses are quite popular and fill quickly.
- Waitlist: Applicants who cannot be placed in the selected course will be placed on a waiting list. Applicants will be notified of waitlist status and when a course becomes available.
- Upon acceptance, additional information including acceptance forms will be sent by email within five business days.
- If student is unable to attend, SC program must be notified immediately.
- All participants must be covered by health insurance.
Financial aid is available in the amount of $65 - partial scholarships for this program on a first-come, first-served basis to families who demonstrate need. Each student may only receive financial aid once during the 2014-2015 academic year.
When applying for Financial Aid, complete the paper scholarship application at this website. You will need to submit the completed application and half of the program fee. A payment of $65.00 and a copy of your Family's 2014 Federal Income Tax Return (1040) with applicable schedules by mail or fax to our office. Scholarships will only be given to students who submit all items at same time and are available on first-come, first served basis. Upon acceptance, additional information including acceptance forms will be sent by email. You $65.00 payment will not be processed until you are awarded the scholarship. You will be contacted within five business days of when our office receives it.
Refund and Cancellation Policy: Program fees are nonrefundable. Course fees are refunded only if the course is not offered by the University of South Carolina or if the applicant is not accepted. If full course payment is not received by the due date stated in the Studentís Acceptance Forms or at least two weeks prior to the program date, the studentís space in the class will be released and any payments made prior to this time will be forfeited. Cancellations will result in forfeiture of payment except in cases of illness (with doctorís note on letterhead) or death of an immediate family member.
The liability of the University of South Carolina is limited to the registration fee, and the University will not be responsible for any losses incurred by registrants or their families, including but not limited to airline cancellation charges or hotel deposits. Refunds take three weeks to process. The University reserves the right to cancel and refund all registration fees for any course due to circumstances beyond our control, including insufficient registration.
Individuals with disabilities or other special needs who anticipate needing reasonable accommodations or who have questions about physical access may contact USC’s Continuing Education & Conferences at 803-777-9444 in advance of your participation in the program.
Mobile Phones - Parents Please Read!
We know that parents and students value the ability to be able to call each other at a moment’s notice. Although we do not prohibit mobile phones, all phone features, including talk, text messaging, and cameras, are not to be used during any instructional or laboratory time.
Parents are responsible for setting clear guidelines for mobile phone use with their student. USC’s Continuing Education and Conferences is not responsible for phone or text content, usage, or phone bills incurred while attending any activity, including loaning phones to friends or placing calls after lights out and talking all night.
READY TO LEARN MORE?
For more information on this program or other pre-university programs, please call USC Continuing Education and Conferences at 803-777-9444 or send an email to email@example.com, or check out these helpful links: