Duke Tip Scholar Weekends
University of South Carolina
November 3 - 4, 2012
February 9 - 10, 2013
- Scholar Weekends are open to students in grades 8 to 12 who have participated in the Duke TIP Talent Search or the summer 2012 Carolina Master Scholars Adventure Series.
- Scholars meet on the University’s Columbia campus November 3 - 4, 2012 or February 9 - 10, 2013 for two days of intensive academic study.
- Students can enroll for one or both weekends.
- Students can enroll in one class per weekend and explore material typically not included in school curricula.
- Class size is limited to 18 students.
- Check-in is from 9 to 10 a.m. on the Saturday your session begins.
- Once the student has checked in, parents are invited to an optional meeting with administrators of USC’s South Carolina Honors College.
- Class starts at 10:00 am on the Saturday of your session until 8:30 pm and again on Sunday of your session from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm.
- Parents and families may attend a closing meeting at 4:00 p.m. on the Sunday the session ends. Students should depart by 4:30 p.m.
- A one-time application fee of $15 is required and is nonrefundable.
- Tuition is $425 per weekend and covers housing, food, and academic activities ($385 for day students).
- Limited, partial financial aid is available for qualified applicants (See Below).
- Students who stay overnight will be housed at a nearby hotel (two per room) and will be supervised by University of South Carolina residential counselors.
Courses for Fall 2012 / Spring 2013
November 3 - 4, 2012
- Medical Anthropology & Human Health: A Global Perspective
- In the Eye of the Storm: Weather, Climate, and You
- The Color of Art: More Fun that Watching Paint Dry
February 9 and 10, 2013
Weekend Schedule - To view a sample schedule, click here.
Financial aid is available in the amount of partial scholarships for this program on a first-come, first-served basis to families who demonstrate need. Each student may only receive financial aid once during the 2012 \ 2013 academic year.
When applying for Financial Aid, complete the online registration process and select the "mail-in" payment option when prompted to choose your payment type. You do not need to make the required fee payment until your registration has been processed. Print off your registration confirmation and send it with a copy of your Family's 2012 Federal Income Tax Return (1040) with applicable schedules by mail or fax to our office. You will be contacted within five business days of when our office receives it.
Applications and Acceptance
- Complete the online registration form and pay the required fee online.
- At this time, you may opt to pay either the application fee or the complete amount due. Your application will not be reviewed until the $15 application fee has been received.
- Participants will be placed on a first-come, first served basis in the selected course. Scholar Weekend courses are quite popular and fill quickly.
- Waitlist: Applicants who cannot be placed in the selected course will be placed on a waiting list. Applicants will be notified of waitlist status and when a course becomes available. The $15 application fee is non-refundable.
- Upon acceptance, additional information including acceptance Forms will be sent by emails.
- If student is unable to attend, SC program must be notified immediately.
- Full course payment is due no later than October 15, 2012 for November courses or January 21, 2013 for February courses.
- All Scholar Weekend participants must be covered by health insurance.
Refund and Cancellation Policy: Application fees are nonrefundable. If full course payment is not received by October 15, 2012 for Fall courses or January 21, 2013 for Spring courses, the student’s space in the class will be released and any payments made prior to this time will be forfeited. Cancellations will result in forfeiture of payment except in cases of illness (with doctor’s note on letterhead) or death of an immediate family member.
The liability of the University of South Carolina is limited to the registration fee, and the University will not be responsible for any losses incurred by registrants or their families, including but not limited to airline cancellation charges or hotel deposits. Refunds take three weeks to process. The University reserves the right to cancel and refund all registration fees for any course due to circumstances beyond our control, including insufficient registration.
READY TO LEARN MORE?
For more information on this program and other pre-university programs, please call USC Continuing Education and Conferences at 803-777-9444 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or check out these helpful links: