Duke Tip Scholar Weekends
University of South Carolina
February 15 - 16, 2014
- Scholar Weekends are open to students in grades 8 to 12 who have participated in the Duke TIP Talent Search or the summer 2013 Carolina Master Scholars Adventure Series.
- Scholars meet on the University’s Columbia campus February 15 - 16, 2014 for two days of intensive academic study.
- Students can enroll for one or both weekends.
- Students can enroll in one class per weekend and explore material typically not included in school curricula.
- Class size is limited to 18 students.
- Check-in is from 9 to 10 a.m. on the Saturday your session begins.
- Once the student has checked in, parents are invited to an optional meeting with administrators of USC’s South Carolina Honors College.
- Class starts at 10:00 am on the Saturday of your session until 8:30 pm and again on Sunday of your session from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm.
- Parents and families may attend a closing meeting at 4:00 p.m. on the Sunday the session ends. Students should depart by 4:30 p.m.
- A one-time application fee of $15 is required and is nonrefundable.
- Tuition is $425 per weekend and covers housing, food, and academic activities ($385 for day students).
- Limited, partial financial aid is available for qualified applicants (See Below).
- Students who stay overnight will be housed at a nearby hotel (two per room) and will be supervised by University of South Carolina residential counselors.
Courses for Spring 2014
February 15 - 16, 2014
Weekend Schedule - To view a sample schedule, click here.
Financial aid is available in the amount of partial scholarships for this program on a first-come, first-served basis to families who demonstrate need. Each student may only receive financial aid once per class during the 2013 \ 2014 academic year.
When applying for Financial Aid, complete the paper scholarship application at this website. You will need to submit the completed application, $15 application fee/deposit and a copy of your Family's 2013 Federal Income Tax Return (1040) with applicable schedules by mail or fax to our office. Scholarships will only be given to students who submit all items at same time and are available on first-come, first served basis. Upon acceptance, additional information including acceptance forms will be sent by email. The remaining balance of the program fee will be due at least two weeks prior to the program date. You will be contacted within five business days of when our office receives it.
Applications and Acceptance
- Complete the online registration form and pay the required fee online.
- At this time, you may opt to pay either the application fee or the complete amount due. Your application will not be reviewed until the $15 application fee has been received.
- Participants will be placed on a first-come, first served basis in the selected course. Scholar Weekend courses are quite popular and fill quickly.
- Waitlist: Applicants who cannot be placed in the selected course will be placed on a waiting list. Applicants will be notified of waitlist status and when a course becomes available. The $15 application fee is non-refundable.
- Upon acceptance, additional information including acceptance Forms will be sent by email.
- If student is unable to attend, SC program must be notified immediately.
- Full course payment is due no later than January 20, 2014 for February courses.
- All Scholar Weekend participants must be covered by health insurance.
Refund and Cancellation Policy: Application fees and program fees are nonrefundable. If full course payment is not received by October 18, 2013 for Fall courses or January 20, 2014 for Spring courses, the student’s space in the class will be released and any payments made prior to this time will be forfeited. Cancellations will result in forfeiture of payments except in cases of illness (with doctor’s note on letterhead) or death of an immediate family member.
The liability of the University of South Carolina is limited to the registration fee, and the University will not be responsible for any losses incurred by registrants or their families, including but not limited to airline cancellation charges or hotel deposits. Refunds take three weeks to process. The University reserves the right to cancel and refund all registration fees for any course due to circumstances beyond our control, including insufficient registration.
READY TO LEARN MORE?
For more information on this program and other pre-university programs, please call USC Continuing Education and Conferences at 803-777-9444 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or check out these helpful links: