The purpose of the South Carolina Need-Based Grant program is to provide additional financial aid to South Carolina's neediest students. It is a state funded grant for undergraduates attending public and independent colleges and universities within South Carolina. Recipients may not have already earned a Bachelor's degree. In order to qualify for consideration for a South Carolina Need-Based Grant, a student must meet all of the following minimum requirements.
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); and have financial need as defined by Title IV Federal Regulations. Funding is limited and awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Be a legal resident of South Carolina as defined in applicable State statutes governing the determination of residency for tuition and fee purposes;
- Be admitted and enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student, seeking your first undergraduate degree;
- Never have been adjudicated delinquent and never have been convicted of or pled guilty or nolo contendere to any felony in any state.
- Not have been convicted of or pled guilty or nolo contendere to a second or subsequent alcohol or drug-related misdemeanor in any state within 12 months prior to the period of the award.
- Verify that he or she does not owe a refund or repayment on a State Grant, Federal Pell Grant, or a Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant and is not in default on a loan under the Federal Perkins Loan or Federal Stafford Loan programs; and
- Be making satisfactory academic progress towards an eligible program of study.
- Must meet all general eligibility requirements.
- Students must maintain an overall 2.0 GPA
- If you received the SC Need-Based Grant in the previous year, you must have earned at least 24 semester hours during the preceding academic year if full-time; 18 semester hours if 3/4 time; and 12 semester hours if 1/2 time.
If you are awarded a State Need Based Grant, you must complete a certification statement at http://saeu.sc.edu/finaid/forms.html. The award will be on hold until the certification is received in the financial aid office.
State Need Based Grant will be disbursed in equal amounts at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. State Need Based Grants are only available during the fall and spring semesters.
Change in Residency
A change in your residency and fee payment status to non-resident will lead to the required repayment of your award for any enrollment period in which you are no longer classified as a resident and received a State Need Based Grant.
The information on this document is subject to change by either the South Carolina Legislature or the Commission on Higher Education. You may view the most recent guidelines for the State Need Based Grant program on the Internet at: www.che400.state.sc.us. Click on Student Services and select "State Need Based Grant”.