Table of Contents

USC: Palmetto College

Information for specific audiences:


Summer Financial Aid


For Financial Aid purposes, summer is considered to be the end of the academic year. Therefore, the eligibility of each student aid applicant for summer funds is based upon each student's remaining annual limits for grants and loans, also all summer sessions are combined into one processing term.


To be considered for federal financial aid for summer, you must have a current year Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) [the one used to award the preceding fall and spring semesters] on file. In addition to the FAFSA, a USC Financial Aid Summer Application is required each summer.


The summer application is available on SSC beginning April 1. The deadline to complete the application is May 1. Because of compressed time frames for summer, our office must adhere to strict application deadlines. However, the application will remain on the web through June 1 and these late applications will be processed on a case by case basis.


How to apply for summer aid?


Complete Request for Summer Application in Self-Service Carolina at

  • Sign-In using VIP ID
  • Select Financial Aid
  • Select Summer Financial Aid Application
  • Select Campus Attending
  • Select Aid Year 1314
  • Answer all questions and submit application


What does a complete application for summer financial aid include?


A complete application for summer financial aid includes:

  • A 2014 Summer Application for Financial Aid.
  • A 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Admission into a degree seeking program.
  • If a transient student, a copy of your transient permission form.


What about Satisfactory Academic Progress?


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will be completed when spring grades are posted in May. Any student not meeting the SAP policy who has had financial aid awarded for summer will have their financial aid canceled immediately, and therefore, may owe a bill for summer. Detailed information on SAP can be found at Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP).

Summer Application Information


A.  How many hours will you take during summer 2014?


Financial aid will be processed according to the planned enrollment you indicate. Please indicate the number of hours planned for each session. Minimum hours required may be taken in Summer I (including May session) only, Summer II only, or a combination of Summer I (including May session) and Summer II. Failure to enroll as indicated voids your application including all financial aid awarded, with the possible exception of Federal Pell Grant. If your plans change, you need to make the Financial Aid Office aware of these changes.


B.  What are your housing arrangements during summer 2014?


Indicate if you will live with your parents or off-campus (not with parents).


C.  Do you wish to be considered for Federal Work Study?


Funding is contingent upon availability and eligibility. If you apply for FWS and funds are available, you will be awarded and notified.


D.  Do you wish to be considered for Direct Student Loans? You must be enrolled for at least 6 hours?


The Federal Direct Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized) will be processed for the maximum base eligibility allowed subject to annual and aggregate loan limits that are based on your academic grade level, your dependency status and the length of your academic degree program. Students who are currently receiving a Direct Loan and who have not received their maximum for the academic year may have remaining eligibility.


Base Eligibility


(Subsidized and Unsubsidized)

Dependent Student

Additional Unsubsidized

Independent Student

Additional Unsubsidized

(or dependent denied PLUS)

1st Year (Freshman):


0 - 29 credit hours


2nd Year (Sophomore):


30 - 59 credit hours


3rd Year+(Junior/Senior):


60+ credit hours




E.  How do I apply for PLUS loan?


The Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is designed to assist the parents of dependent undergraduate students enrolled at least half-time in meeting educational expenses.


Due to the credit expiration date by the Department of Education, your Parents must complete a new plus credit application for the summer term.


If your parent did not apply for a Parent Loan for fall/spring terms, they must complete a credit application and a Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note (eMPN) at the Department of Educationís website.


F.  How do I apply for a Private Loan?


Students will need to apply directly with their lender of choice. The lender will approve or deny credit, generally within a few hours. Once the school receives notice of an approval the loan information will appear on SSC.


G.  What do I need to know about summer transient and concurrent enrollment and financial aid?


Students who wish to take summer classes at another institution or USC campus other than your home campus and who plan to transfer those summer credits back to us with the approval of your academic department must additionally complete the transient student question on this Summer Application. See your Financial Aid Office for information on the completion and submission of the appropriate transient forms.



Attendance and Withdrawal Information


  • You must adhere to class attendance requirements as defined by the university.
  • If you register for summer classes and decide not to attend, you are REQUIRED to notify BOTH Financial Aid Office (FAO) and the Registration Office immediately to begin the withdrawal process.
  • Dropping courses below half-time prior to disbursement of financial aid may result in your becoming ineligible for all non-disbursed aid. Additionally, if class attendance is not established, you will become ineligible for disbursed aid and therefore owe a debt to the university.
  • If you withdraw prior to the 60% point of the summer session(s) you are scheduled to attend, you may owe a repayment of financial aid funds to the program(s) from which they were awarded (thus owing a debt to the university).
  • Failure to officially withdraw may result in the receipt of failing grades and you may owe a repayment of financial aid funds to the program(s) from which they were awarded (thus owing a debt to the university).
  • Students who receive failing grades (Fís, and/or FNís) in ALL classes while also receiving federal financial aid may owe a repayment of financial aid funds to the program(s) from which they were awarded (thus owing a debt to the university).
  • Withdrawing from classes or failing to complete and pass registered hours will affect your future eligibility for financial aid. You must meet SAP requirements to maintain eligibility for financial aid as defined by the FAO.
  • The FAO will not consider you to have withdrawn for the summer term if:
    • You give the institution written confirmation that you will attend a session that begins later in the summer term.
    • If you do not attend the later session(s), the date of withdrawal from the previous session will be used as the official withdrawal date to determine the amount of Title IV aid to be returned based on the R2T4 calculation.


Other important links:

Columbia, SC 29208 • 803-777-7695 • Contact Us